Minimum Preparation for Work:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in English, Journalism, Public Administration, Communications, Marketing, Business or related field; and
- Four years (4) years of professional-level experience in public relations, public information, journalism, marketing, or related field or area of experience. Communications, public information or marketing experience within state and/or local government preferred.
- Combination of education, training, and/or work experience equal to or higher than the requirements listed above as determined by Human Resources.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Possession of an appropriate driver license for equipment operated and any license, training or certification required by law or regulation to complete assigned tasks.
Nature of Work:
This is a professional and administrative position responsible for assisting in the preparation, development and relaying of information to the media and public working under the direction of the Public Information Officer in the Office of the Mayor.
This is a professional administrative position that requires a highly responsible individual who works well in a fast-paced environment. The position is responsible for creating and developing marketing and communication materials for the City across multiple platforms, including press releases, newsletters, social media, graphic design materials, photos, videos and more. In the PIO's absence, this individual will serve as the Acting Public Information Officer for the City. The ideal candidate will have strong writing skills, attention to detail, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well both independently and with a team. Work is performed is evaluated by observation of results attained.
Examples of Work:
- Works closely with the Public Information Officer to write and distribute press releases to the media and public, with an emphasis on promoting City initiatives and communicating citizen-focused information.
- Responds to media requests and provides accurate and timely information to news reporters, editors, online resources and media outlets.
- Monitors media coverage involving the Mayor and City; maintains professional relationships with the media.
- Interacts with the public in an effective and courteous manner.
- Manages and monitors the City's social media accounts as assigned.
- Assists with the management and publication of web content for the City's website to include maintaining the online Calendar of Events to ensure information is accurate and up-to-date.
- Coordinates and participates in public media events, including City special events such as groundbreakings, ribbon cuttings, press conferences, etc. to enhance marketing of City accomplishments.
- Takes photos and videos for the City's social media, website and press releases, including photos of City events and events attended by the Mayor.
- In coordination with City staff, conceptualizes and designs communication products and graphics to support the City's mission, programs and services, including videos, photos, illustrations, brochures, flyers, postcards, digital media, PowerPoint presentations, and other publication projects.
- Must demonstrate commitment to City's mission, vision, values and goals and represent the City in a professional, dignified manner at all times both in actions and appearance.
- Serves as ESF 14 staff, representing the City in the Escambia County Emergency Operations Center during disaster preparation and/or disaster recovery efforts. Required to work before, during and/or after an emergency.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation and appropriate formats of documents and correspondence for both formal and informal communication settings.
- Knowledge of social media, principles and practices of modern journalistic writing and editing as applied to public relations and promotion of City activities.
- Knowledge of principles and best practices of communication strategies to include verbal, written and visual presentations in the creation, development and delivery of public information.
- Knowledge of current and common professional video film editing applications such as Adobe Premier Pro, Photoshop and InDesign as needed to edit compose and design printing and digital media.
- Skilled in the operation of a standard computer, including demonstrated competence with Microsoft Office applications and experience with web content development.
- Ability to plan, organize and complete multiple work assignments and ongoing activities with appropriate initiative while adhering to established deadlines and protocols.
- Ability to communicate tactfully and professionally with employees, public officials, and the general public both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive matters diplomatically and discreetly to include knowing when to escalate matters to City management.
The mental and physical demands and the work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental and Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to hold or feel, reach with hands and arms, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, sit, climb, balance, stoop, and crouch. Specific vision abilities include near distance, far distance, color and peripheral vision and depth perception.
Work is primarily sedentary in nature and performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Some jobs may require an employee to be exposed to outside weather conditions, wet and/or humid conditions.
Recruitment Range: $26.02-$30.62 hourly dependent on knowledge and experience